… what makes us good
It took years of experimenting with different combinations and proportions of gluten free flours, but after countless failures in varied assortments of frustrating forms, we developed a precise blend of certified gluten free flour that incorporates the goodness of ancient grains* and whole grains that we believe produces bread that not only tastes and feels good – but is good for you.
This unique combination includes the whole grain goodness of brown rice flour, sorghum flour and organic amaranth flour perfectly blended with white rice, tapioca and potato flour.
We Only Use…
- fresh whole eggs
- real butter (or healthy oils for dairy-free varieties)
- aluminum-free baking powder
- pure cane sugar
What we don’t use – and Why
- We do not use corn starch, corn flour (or corn syrup) simply because over 90% of the corn produced and used in the US is genetically modified which, evidence shows, can cause a number of inflammatory health issues.
- We do not use Canola oil because most of the canola produced in the US is genetically modified and, like corn, is just plain bad-for-you.
- We do not use baking powder that contains aluminum because it doesn’t taste as good and because there are potential health risks involved with aluminum absorption.
- We do not use sugar made from sugar beets because much of it produced in the US is genetically modified.
- We do not use hard to pronounce artificial additives or preservatives like methylcellulose, maltodextrin, carrageenan, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, etc. because, although they may make a more pretty product or more profitable bottom line, they’re quite frankly icky and unhealthy in any amount.
*Amaranth is a nutritional powerhouse and contains more protein than wheat. It is also an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, iron and lysine, an important amino acid (protein). Amaranth contains more fiber than other gluten free grains and is a good source of vitamin E.
Sorghum has high nutritional value, with high levels of unsaturated fats, protein, fiber, and minerals like phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and iron. It also has more antioxidants than blueberries and pomegranates.